Monday, August 12, 2013

re: savage

hello lovers,

the first two images are from a book entitled, "1492: what's it like to be discovered?" a book i have not seen in over 2 decades. this book was critical my development as a human and an artist. i used it to make my first rudimentary collages, large scale ones, and push my creativity further. it was the first thing i saw upon a recent trip to lytton, bc, for a symposium called, "songs of the land," hosted by kevin loring. 

my friend gordon had purchased the book instead of mine at the coop bookstore in vancouver because my book,"stone the crow," wasn't available. what a long strange journey to finding this book again, and he gifted it to me, which was awesome. it'll once again effect my creativity and i'm stoked to get to work. 

the last two images in this post, are from the Museum of Anthropology at UBC in Vancouver, BC. and that place is difficult to walk through, because there are so many ghosts there. the ghosts of the past, the invisible hands of the artists and artisans that created so many beautiful works of art, clothing and basketry. silenced by disease, by greed, by madness. now sitting in a museum. who is the savage?







No comments: