Monday, January 01, 2018

re: more new poems

The party is over:
It hurts where I used to play
I’ve become invisible
To women of a variety
Of ages
As I let myself go
Here and there
Spilling out of my shirt
And sides
My orgasm sounds have become
My pissing sounds

Whereas a few years ago
I was enjoying the field
Now I enjoy watching
Marathon episodes
Of new comedies or
Action thriller series

I no longer think
About relationships
Or maybe “this one will work”
Or anything like that
I watch friends
Try and try again relationships
Meh

I don’t want to share my time
With anyone anymore
Time is precious
I don’t want to learn to deal
with idiosyncrasies
Or live with anyone
Or listen to their bullshit
Or neurosis

No I’m content to putter
About my home
Make art
Play guitar
And parent my children
As I prepare
To enter the third quarter of my life
I’m cool with it.



The road:
I’m tired of it
Tired of being on it
It no longer is fun
Anymore
I loathe hotels
Airports
And bus terminals
The smell of an airplane
As you get on
Dry and fake
The fart smell of a bus
The air conditioning
Wheezing away

I’ve noticed
That people no longer
Talk to one another on buses
I think because everyone
Is exhausted and overwhelmed
And overloaded
By life
That and they’re endlessly
On smart phones, tablets
And other technology

Whereas people on planes
Still chat each other up
Probably because of some
Base fear of dying alone
In a plane crash

I do like being in fancy hotels
And looking like I don’t belong
Sitting there in my paint covered
Clothes
Tired, grubby looking
And worn out

Sometimes I’ll get asked if I’m staying
There to which I’ll reply
“No, but can I just stay in the lobby
like five more hours?”
and security is called
and then I produce my key card
and identification which is verified
at the front desk
and the person or person who complained
look all confused and angry

All while I smile and laugh
savouring that feeling
like I’ve created a new way
to hurt someone’s feelings
nom nom nom nom
it feeds me
being able to be in a confrontation
where I know I’m totally right
and there’s nothing they can do

about it.

No comments: