Monday, January 01, 2018

re: newer poem~!

Over a month ago:
I decided to quit
Drinking
It was about the third
Time this year
But this time it took
And I enjoy
Waking up
In the morning
Without a crushing hangover
A dry pasty mouth
Reeling from a blackout
Worried about what I said
The night before
Online while drunk
Reacting emotionally
And wondering why no one
Had invented a breathalyzer
For computers
Before posting stupid things
On the inter-webs

Nope
It has been over a month
And I noticed
Something different
This time around
The improvement
Of my overall
Well being mentally
And physically
Just feeling so much
Better instead
Of so much bitter
Has been an incredible
Boost for my mind
And spirit

I realized
I was hitting
The bottle out of sadness
Loneliness
Anger and self-pity
And had been for a long time
Most of my life
Has been about
Dealing with loss

Loss of home
Of family life
Of language
Of culture
Of various anchor
Points in my life
Like my grandfather
My grandmother
Both were
Storytellers
Both knew our land
And language so well
They were intertwined
My parents
Had both been through
Residential schools
And were in many ways
Broken
So trying to raise a child
In that broken
Was never easy or
Even possible
Perhaps?

Anyway
I quit drinking
And feel all the better
For it

I knew its time had come.

No comments: