Wednesday, May 05, 2010

re: new pomes

right, so these are fresh new pomes, wrote tonight and here for your literary pleasure........


It’s two thirty
And I’m avoiding
My most recent love affair
Where I left a beautiful guitar
And clothes
And poems
And a tiny bit
Of my heart
And a shadow of my soul
That she trapped in a box
Of mirrors
To look at and laugh at
When the world
Turns her away
But I won’t go
Down that easy
I’ll fight it
I’ll rise up
From the ash
And the powder
And gin
And scream at the sky
I loved you
At the same time
You loved
Me
And then we smashed it all
Against
That concrete building
In Vancouver
and while we had
hot sex
in the window
I knew it was all
Coming to an end
And with each push
With each thrust
I had no expectations
Of eternity
Of glory
Of certainty
No, I just wanted
That last push
And a kiss
And a warm bed
One more night.

At 2:43 a.m.
I’m caught
I’m seized
By panic
Like a beast
Trapped in a net
As the sun rises
Over the forest
The fog rising
The mist settling
Over the long green
Blades
Of grass
Gathering in buds
Of flowers
Waiting to bloom at dawn
I am a coyote
In the mountains
Waiting to howl
Waiting to hunt
Waiting to kill
And then I hear a train
The pounding it makes
Against the rails
And
That’s when I remember
I am a man
A human
And
Not a beast
And that I have court in the morning
And a lawyer to meet
And a statement to write
And a soul to defend
But I realize
I have the days confused
And I have another
Twenty four hours
To redeem myself
To save myself
From the drama
Of the woman
And the man.



A higher form:
I keep defending myself
In bordellos
In whorehouses
In garages
In university classes
In the mouth
Of love
And desire
That I am a strong man
And a
Weak man
But what it all comes
Down to
Is those final hours
At the end
Of the night
After eight hours
Of drink
And smoke
And song
And promises
That I will always
Be there
And
We love
We bond
We strike together
And
Connect
Before the hangover
Before the vomit
And
That long endless slow crawl
To the toilet
And the kitchen sink for a glass
Of water
And that final kiss
To end the night
And walking towards the car
Before the sun rises
And we all
Become mortal
Again.


I lie to her:
Again
And again
Telling her
That I don’t love
Her
And we drink
And we smoke
And we have sex
As we travel down
A road
That is infinitely wide
And without direction
Towards a destiny
Towards
A fate
That I know will
Ultimately end
As quickly
As it started
And while it lasts
I will get
Every pound of flesh
That I possibly can
Off of her
And love her tightly
In the bed
In the shower
In a chair
In a hotel on Granville street
Before it all
Falls apart
And I will be
The one leaving
With an aching heart
One more time









No comments: