Wednesday, July 11, 2018

re: self-care and health-care!!!

Hello friends, fans, foe and lovers,


Recently I had a “cardiac event” as they call it, which means I woke up one morning with my heart going about 200 bpm, for metal heads, the song “Blackened,” by Metallica is about 210 bpm, so it was going fast, way too fast. I couldn’t sit still, I didn’t know what was going on so my little brother and I caught a cab to the hospital, which sucked because we jumped in the cab and the cabby reeked of nicotine, perfume and a hangover. I was already having shallow breathing, so it was another challenge, down came the window and I tried gulping in fresh air as we zipped down the hill towards the hospital.



It’s excruciatingly slow at the emergency, despite the fact I was the only person in the waiting room. The staff was busy finishing with a couple other people, but when you’re freaking out, it feels like you’re going to die. The nurse or person who admitted me was also very sloth-like, which added to my frustration, and looked a lot like Steve Carrel, which was weird and added a surreal moment to what was going on. But once he checked my pulse, things sped up a bit, and I was admitted, then sent off to a little room where I was hooked up to a machine that determined, yes, indeed, my heart was fucking pounding out of my chest. I wasn’t faking it.



Then I was sent to another room, much bigger, with another patient in it, on the other side of a wall, or sort of wall that divided the room. Hooked up to more machines, then oxygen because my breathing was so shallow my oxygen was dropping. They hooked me up to a defibrillator and a doctor came in and explained what was happening in my heart. It was in arrhythmia, something that happens a lot and commonly they treat it several times a day. I was astounded, but if you don’t experience something, you just don’t know what’s going on in the shadows around you.



After a few minutes an anesthesiologist came in, the doctor said “we’re going to sort of put you under, before the procedure, it’ll hurt less,” or something like that and in those minutes waiting I made my peace. I thought about a lot that had gone on in my life and people and the thing that made me sad and mad the most was not seeing my kids grow up and I was an idiot that needed to grow up and make changes in my life. As things faded to black I accepted it and wasn’t scared, then all of a sudden ZAP!!!! I sat up as the electricity hit me and it felt like a kick from a mule or something. My heart dropped down to 120 bmp and I gasped and lay back down and instantly started to feel calmer and relaxed. It was probably the drugs in the anesthesia, haha.



Since then it’s been tests and more tests, I’ve seen a cardiologist, who explained carefully what likely happened and the changes I need to make to extend my life a lot longer. Believe me, when you have a Doctor, Anesthesiologist, Nurses and machines strapped up to you, you get your wake up call. I quit drinking, quit coffee, salt, butter and all the wonderful things I enjoyed in life. I thought I had a pretty good diet, but when you actually start taking notes on what you eat, nah, it’s kind of shitty. Haha. I’m getting my steps in everyday and I’m taking weight loss seriously and my health even more seriously. This past year I had been making baby steps in my health, trying to get my steps in, trying to watch what I eat, trying to work out and get outside more. Now, it’s my mission and longevity is my goal with my health because I want to be there for my kids and watch them grow up and do my best to be a good dad.



So, if you’re packing around an extra 10 or 20 pounds or more, have diabetes, high blood pressure, smoke and have a history of heart conditions in your family, go get a check up. No matter what age you are, I knew I was overweight, but I didn’t know I had high blood pressure, which is partially caused by the weight I’m carrying. Once I drop the weight, my blood pressure should lower as well. Diet. Exercise. Self-care. I’ve had a couple friends die in the past couple years because of heart attacks and this is my message to you, it’s preventable, get in, get help and take care of yourself, because once you’re gone, that’s it. You’re just a memory and your friends and family might not say it, but they’ll miss you when you’re gone. Take care of yourself!


Each sunrise and sunset is amazing. Stay real yo!

6 comments:

Kym Gouchie said...

Scary stuff! Glad to know that you're okay and on the mend. We truly are what we eat. Exercise is where I'm lacking but your story has inspired me to get going. Thanks for sharing. Take care friend.

Sean Luciw said...

Reminds me of when I saw the X-Ray of my broken hand... I quit drinking that week! Good luck, take care, good to see you on the bus the other day friend!

Unknown said...

Chris, my friend, I am so happy to hear that you came out of it on this side. We still need ya here. I read your story and all I could think of was your children. I grew up with my Dad having heart attacks and eventually succumbed to his death because of end stage heart disease. It is the hardest journey i have to walk without my Dad and what make sir harder is knowing if his heart was as strong as his spirit he would still be here. Not easy as a daughter knowing she could still have her Dad here. Not easy holding my children when they cry and yearn for their Poppa as they are still so young and have so many years and monumental moments that now wont include their Poppa. They cry and I can't do anything about it. I feel so hopeless but I also had a huge huge scare a few weeks back in Vancouver. Ended up getting rushed to St. Pauls ER via ambulance and hooked up to so many machines. I thought i was gonna die. I kept saying "I cant go out like this. This cant be it. I have kids. I have a husband. I have family. I have friends. I'm not done yet. I still have so much to do. Please Creator give me another chance..." and I pleaded for my life. For the first time in my life I felt fear. Real authentic fear. I didnt know fear before that day. I came out. I'm here. Now my vow is too, to look after my vessel and my spirit so my kids wont have to witness what I had to losing my Dad. Im glad you are okay. We have a responsibility to our kids and even when they are grown then it passes to responsibility to our grandchildren and maybe even lucky enough to be responsible for our great grandchildren.Glad to hear the power, passion and love in your story and your commitment to your health and yourchildren. Much love my friend.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Chris. That is very scary when it happens to you or someone close to you. Keep riding that bike and it will quickly become one of your "crutches". And I know you'll get a lot of advice from people that care about you. Some of it will be good. All of it worth checking out. My piece is to look at "Time Restricted Eating". I can send you a video link from a scientist who is really knowledgeable and I assure you it not one of those ridiculous trends like "keto" etc etc. I know you can use all the talent and energy you have as an artist and performer to transform your health. Inspire yourself!

Unknown said...

Hi there. I am taking an English course on-line with TRU. Truly enjoyed learning, listening, and watching your stories. I live on the Sunshine Coast and love it here. I moved here with my mom in the 70's, left when I graduated and came back 17 years later to raise my own children. Working on a second degree. I have years of education and experience working with children and families, but the pay is not helping me with the bills, so I hope the new direction will help with that. I love working with children, and I appreciate your honest parenting blogs. Thanks for sharing. We all have our stories. I feel connected to your stories, and I am thankful to have bumped into you along my way. Trina

Unknown said...

Good to read that you're still on this side of the sod my friend. If someday I'm going to be your biographer I'd prefer you to be still here and with many more years of living and pages to still add.