Monday, June 14, 2010

rattles


Rattle:
There were
Four or five rattles
All sitting nice
On a brightly colored
Star blanket
On the altar

They looked like buckskin
So smoothly wrapped around
A gourd or something
A couple had horns
Like a devil
A couple others
had horsehair
streaming down
from the handle

they looked pretty important

I’d seen them lots over the years
All over the place
In old
nearly abandoned
Rez churches
People’s houses
Treatment centers
Sundances
Vision quests

All of the rattles
In a row
I stared at them
While my uncle
Matoa Omani
Growled at everyone
Telling them stories
About his journey
How it brought him
To the Red Road
From the darkness
Almost boasting about it
While my other Mach-Peya Tekula
Sat silently broodingly
Playing with his braids
His moustache
Patiently waiting
For the ceremony to begin
And make
Stars of them both

Then it was over
The speeches
The warnings
The heeding for anyone
To leave without the will
Or nerves
And the darkness
Fell upon us all
A darkness like no other
As the ceremony started
And I thought back
To my first sundance
Under the endless blue
Skies of wolf point
And that first night
At my uncle’s house
Staring up at the vast
Night sky
Lying on a bedroll
At more stars than I’d ever seen
Glimmering silently
The universe holds so many
Secrets from us all

As I lay there I knew
In a few days
My blood would be spilt
Beneath the blue sky
A lot of blood would
Be spilt

And now
Thinking back to that time
I watched
As the sparks dropped down
A sign that the grandfathers
And grandmothers
Were arriving
And I knew in a few moments
The rattles would be flying around
The room in total darkness
A room full of people
Full of people
On the floor
Huddled together
In a darkness so complete
Not even a sliver of light
Could pierce through
And I knew the whole
Building would begin shaking
The floor rumbling
As though vast herds of buffalo
Of deer
Of elk
Were circling outside
And sometimes you could hear
Bears growling fiercely
And I would always picture them
Standing and scraping
At the windows and doors
And then the flap of wings
Would be everywhere
Huge wings
That cooled you off every time
They passed over you
And I fought hard the urge
To reach out
And to try to grab a rattle
As it flew overhead
Shaking like rattlesnake tails
Everywhere at once in the darkness
It always made me wonder
If there was more to this life
Than it seemed

And now
As I live
A less-than traditional life
I miss those days
And do not know
If I can
Ever return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This poem is very good. One of the best you've published on your blog.

Anonymous said...

This poem is very good. One of the best you've published on your blog.