Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Re: Holidays and Fatherhood

Kids never know:
The good parent
Tries
Hard
To keep the monsters
At bay
The ones under the bed
In the hall closet
The storage room
I do my best
And my middle daughter still moves
Her room around
Every few weeks
Tricking the monsters
She says

I tell her
They wont get her
And if so
They would get her sister who sleeps
On the bottom bunk first
Which would wake her up
So she could scream
And I would come save her
This doesn't comfort her
She says I might not be
Fast enough

Kids never know
The monsters adults
Fear
Bills
Rent
Loneliness
Because they should
Be kids
Time enough for those nightmares
Later when they grow older
Being a kid is precious
Let them have that time
Fight the monsters!
Sleep Soundly!
Dream big!
And loud loudly!
With the kids!
Carpe Diem!

No comments: