Thursday, December 28, 2017

re: more new poems!

Just like that:
Its over
The stress
The holiday has passed
The kids woke early
At the same
Time as I did
I groggily sit on the couch
And glad
To be sober
To not wake up
Hungover
Or sad or empty
The kids giggle
Filling their room with joy
And I am thankful
For this beautiful time.

The silence between now and then:
Is immediately
Noticeable when I wake up
The colourful Christmas lights
Strung throughout the apartment
Bring a delicate light
To wake up to
Its nice and quiet
I get up
Rub my eyes
The sand in the corners
Crumbles away
I groan a bit
Standing up
And stretch

I listen
Silence
Except for gentle snoring
In the girls room
And my sons room
Is a low rumble
I smile to myself
And head to the kitchen
To make coffee
And enjoy the silence
But joy knowing they
Are with me. 


No comments: