Saturday, December 30, 2017

re: new poem

The 15 pack prophet:
I was waiting for transit
When an aboriginal fella
Came up to me
Holding a 15 pack
Of Budweiser
He looked at me
Are you native he asked
Yeah
I replied
Cool, I knew it he said
He asked how long the liquor stores
Were open until
9 pm for the government ones
and 11 pm for the private ones
what!?!? 

He exclaimed
in Winnipeg theyre open till 2:30
in the morning 
oh yeah? I reply
I didn't much feel like talking
So I kept my mouth shut
He smelled slightly of booze
And seemed like a talker
We stood in silence
For a few minutes
Then he looked at me again
He had short hair
Clean clothes
Seemed normal
And then he said
Did you know im a prophet!?!
I am going to save our people
Oh yeah?! I reply regretfully
Yeah he replies

But not answering how really
Im going to unite all our people
Show them the way
Do you play guitar? He asks
Out of the blue
Yeah, a little bit I reply
He then says I was once offered
A deal by Sony records
By RCA when I was younger
Im nearly 40 now he concludes
Whens the bus get here?! He asks
In about 10 minutes I reply

A bus comes up
And he gets on it
The wrong one I tell him
He says he doesn't care
And gets on it
And disappears
I wait 10 more in the cold
And the bus I wait for arrives
I put my bike on the rack and get aboard
A few minutes later

The bus passes
The 15 pack prophet
Walks onward
And I slip into the night
Anonymous

One more time. 

No comments: